Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Four Pounds and illegal immigration

Last week, I lost 4 pounds! i was so proud of myself! I really had to crack down after my one-pound let down the week before. Total so far? 15.2. And the best part about all this? people noticing and complimenting me:) BEST. FEELING. EVER. I've gotta make this quick, cuz I've got LOTS of homework to do...but I'll just end on a thought..

This book I'm reading for English, it's called the Tortilla Curtain. It's set in southern california in the early 90's and deals with a lot of issues and themes that our country (especially Arizona) is facing right now, with illegal immigration and what not. I'm only about half way through the book so far, but before I read it, my mind was set in what my dad and other adults had raised me to think (and i love my dad to death and still respect him and his opinions 100%) but, just that all Mexicans are bad criminals and need to get out of here. But reading this book has helped me see the other side of it..the perspective of an illegal couple living without a home and doing anything they can to fulfill the American dream. And there's also the other point of view of a white American couple who shares the same beliefs as the average white person living in Arizona/California who has to deal with these issues. So it's very interesting.

But anyway, I just really love being able to form my own opinion and think about things differently, not just how adults have told me; although i HAVE stuck with most of the ideas that i've been taught growing up:) The Tortilla Curtain, a very thought provoking book. I LOVE books that get you thinking. NOT just that entertain you. I've learned to appreciate the fact that just because a book is harder to read or it may seem slow, it doesn't mean it's not good or boring! It just means that there is so much to think about! Ahh love it. Love reading.....which i better go do:) Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. girl, this is what a good college experience should give you - an opportunity to see real-world issues from ALL points of view. i love that you're learning that the world is not as black and white as some people make it seem!

    we will DEFINITELY have our college night when i come home next month :) love you baby girl.

    ReplyDelete